Saturday, April 11, 2009

Of Doctors and Dwarfs

Obviously, I'm not talking about going to the real dr because any of us are dwarfs.

I'm talking Dr Who and Red Dwarf.

The first was quite fabulous, and watched by Mum and Dad, who came here because they needed to go to Homebase so they came here rather than us go there, CP who turned up because it was Saturday, R, AC and I.

AC and I snuggled on the floor under his blanket, and we loved it. Right up to the point where they look down the gravity well (nope, no spoilers, don't worry!) and he pipes up "My dads friend jumped off the 4th floor of the car park. She died." Ooooooookaaaaaaayy!

And then a little later, when there's a chap saying to the Dr "I love you, I really love you, I love you!" because he's so impressed with what the Dr has done (see what I mean - no spoilers!) and the AC pipes up "Is he gay or something?"

*double take*

I ignored it, based on the idea that I'm not telling him off and making a big deal out of it, and just said that he was happy to see the Dr.

But when did this happen? When did my son become aware of suicide and homosexuality? Is this the end of his innocence?

Well, no, not really.

He doesn't really understand how death works, and he has no idea about sex. He's 5. Why would he know about sex? He knows boys are different to girls, he knows babies are grown inside a lady, he knows what he needs to know. He asked how babies came out, I told him, he thought I was making it up. That's fine! If we ever need to, we'll sit and watch a few episodes of Homebirth Diaries and he'll know what he needs to know. Job done.

But where does he get his information?

I know his father has told him about condoms. I know his father has told him about homosexuality. I didn't agree with it - he was 4. But what do I know? I'm just his mother lol!

He's going to be year 2 next year. Lots of questions will come up, and we'll deal with them as we they arrive. Little Brothers baby is due on Monday, so that's going to be cause of questions I expect. And if it isn't, it's all good, he'll find out when he's ready.

And yes, the Dr Who Easter Special was fabulous, the Red Dwarf 2 of 3 was fabulous, and now it's Red Dwarf "Polymorph." I need to snack.

I'm awake because I had a 4 hour nap earlier, (and R tidied the front room for me! I love him!) and so now I'm having a pint and a snack.

Rock and roll! LOL!

No comments: