Sunday, May 31, 2009

He's gone

and he and you and I know I said I was going back to bed. And you and I know I'm not because it's 6am, it's a glorious morning, and life is good.

This morning made me think of this, a Robert Frost poem, called Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Now I appreciate it is summer, not snowy and so on, but there is something about the last verse that always makes me think of R. "I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep" and that's why he left this morning. That's why he left on a morning almost a year ago now, that's why he always leaves. Because he made a promise, and he's keeping it.

He has only ever made me two promises, and he's delivered every time. He comes close to promising me things, and I always pull him back, because I have had so many promises broken to me in the past. He is an amazing man, and I love him.

No comments: