Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Changing Habits

I've just been reading a most excellent book that I got as a prize from a Twitter competition.

Power of Habit Amazon link here
Power of Habit Website link here
Lovely people at Windmill Books who ran the competition and posted me a book that HAS changed my thinking and could consider themselves to be the way that God is answering a prayer of mine link here. (They have an excellent rang of books and reviews and are on twitter.  Follow these people.)

It does exactly what it says on the tin.  It looks at habits and what we do and why we do it.  It looks at how to change what we do, and what happens when we do, right from a neurological level up to practical effects in our life.  It looks at what we have to change, and how what we have to change isn't always what we think we have to change.

It does it so well, I'm thinking about getting the e-book after payday.  It actually makes sense.  I'm going to start small, and I'm going to make changes.

One of them is not spending so much time on the computer first thing in the morning.

My habit is to leave the house late and grumpy.
My change will be to turn this off by 0700.
My reward will be to have a more cheerful journey to school with the boy, with time to chat.

Easy............

No comments: