Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Didn't sew...

.... but I read about sewing and watched the DVD that came with my magazine several months ago.

That's the way I've always been.

I try something, read about it, try it again, read about it and so on. I like to know what I'm doing and where I'm going with it all. I like to have the facts and techniques at my finger tips. And then sometimes I like to ignore it all and do my own thing because it *feels* right.

Sometimes things just do *feel* right.

A lot of my parenting is done on what feels right, in combination with reading that I've done and discussions I've had with people. The one time I didn't go with what felt right? My son turned out to have a low tolerance of dairy. But because I'd done the reading, I was able to answer the Health Visitors issues with facts and figures, mainly from World Health Organisation and tell her to get knotted, then carry on being able to do the best thing for my son.

A lot of my teaching is based on what feels right for that particular child, with a background of pedagogy and ideals in education, but also knowing the facts about that child, their background, their thinking, their lives. Who they are as individuals, really matters to me.

As I prepare to hand my children on to the next teacher, I know I'll miss some of them. Some I've had for 2 years now, and they are all such special children in their own way. I look at the ones coming in though, and I know I'll get to know them, and we'll get to know what feels right for them, and the way they learn.

It's a time of change for all of us, in so many different ways, known and unknown, published, and unpublished.

No comments: